Why do you need to get rid of slouch?
If you constantly slouch, you’ve probably noticed that your appearance suffers greatly. The stooped person gives the impression of being closed and not very attractive. But how to cope with such a problem?
What it is?
What is a slouch? In medical practice, this phenomenon is called kyphosis. So called curvature of the upper spine. In general, the spine is a complex and important structure consisting of vertebrae, ligaments, intervertebral discs and tendons.
In kyphosis, the ligaments and tendons stretch, the intervertebral discs are displaced, and the distance between the vertebrae increases. Such changes, of course, cannot go unnoticed and disappear without a trace.
Types of stoop
There are several types of kyphosis:
- Juvenile kyphosis occurs in adolescence.
- Paralytic is associated with atrophy or paralysis of the muscles supporting the spinal column.
- Senile kyphosis develops in older people due to age-related changes.
- Congenital kyphosis is a congenital abnormality.
- Functional kyphosis is a consequence of an abnormal from a physiological point of view.
- Postoperative stoop develops after surgery on the spine.
- Tall (often tall people hunch to appear shorter).
- Post-traumatic kyphosis - a consequence of spinal injuries.
- Degenerative kyphosis is associated with degenerative changes and diseases of the bones and joints, such as osteochondrosis and the like.
- Ricket kyphosis develops because of rickets.
There are also 4 degrees of stoop, which can determine the doctor, given the angle of inclination of the spine.
We list the main symptoms of stoop:
- The shoulders of a stooped person are usually moved forward.
- A small hump is observed in the upper back, the back is rounded.
- The head usually leans forward.
- The chest appears concave and reduced in size.
- Gait becomes awkward.
- Knees bent, this is especially noticeable when walking.
- Outwardly, a person looks hunched, awkward, tired and even offended.
Why does stoop appear?
We list the main causes of stoop:
- Some diseases of bone or cartilaginous tissue, for example, osteochondrosis, rickets and others.
- Injuries to the back.
- Operations performed on the spine, as well as non-compliance with prescriptions of the doctor in the postoperative period.
- Muscle diseases or other diseases related to muscle damage: muscular dystrophy or atrophy, cerebral palsy, poliomyelitis, and so on.
- Congenital pathologies and diseases.
- Excessive or insufficient exercise and the associated weakness of the spinal muscles.
- Wrong position with sedentary work.
- Effects on the shoulders or back of bags or heavy clothing.
Identify stoop and diagnose can only be a doctor. He will inspect and analyze your posture. Most likely, the specialist will also prescribe radiography. In the picture you can see and evaluate the curvature and distinguish kyphosis from another condition associated with curvature - scoliosis.
If you do not yet have pronounced kyphosis, but your posture is wrong, then it's time to stop stooping. Here are some possible consequences of stoop:
- Back pains associated with abnormal spinal position and overstrain of the spinal muscles.
- Mobility impairment.If only the back first suffers, then the legs and arms can get involved in the process, because there are nerve endings in the spine, and with a strong curvature of the spinal column, some blood vessels can be squeezed.
- Neck pain due to cervical spine overstrain.
- With spinal curvature, headaches can occur.
- Violation of blood circulation due to squeezing of blood vessels.
- Constant fatigue.
- Violation of the internal organs located in the chest (lungs and heart).
- Changes in appearance.
- Uncertainty, low self-esteem, bad mood.
What to do?
How to get rid of slouch? Immediately it should be noted that to eliminate such a problem in a child is much easier than in an adult. So the sooner you begin to act, the greater will be the chances of eliminating the problem. There are several methods of treatment, we will dwell on each of them.
Such a corset is not at all what the girls used to wear. This is a complex device that fixes the back in a position that is physiologically correct.
The corset removes the load from the muscles, but at the same time allows you to straighten the upper part of the spine and take the shoulders back. Gradually, the position of the spinal column is normalized, so that the slouch passes. Pick up this device and make recommendations about its wearing can only a doctor.
Conservative treatment involves the appointment of certain procedures:
- Massage. It is very effective, but only if carried out by an experienced specialist. Such a procedure, firstly, is aimed at returning the vertebrae and intervertebral discs to the normal position. Secondly, during the massage muscles are relaxed, which because of the curvature are almost in constant tension. Thirdly, during such a procedure, the blood supply to the muscle tissues is improved, which, due to the lack of proper exercise, did not work and was practically atrophied.
- In some cases, physiotherapeutic procedures are prescribed that improve the blood supply and nutrition of the tissues.
- Also, a specialist may prescribe acupuncture.
Nutrition and preparations
To get bone, cartilage and muscle tissue, you need to eat right. The following foods should be consumed:
- Muscles need protein, which is found in meat and fish, milk, nuts, and also in seafood.
- Bones will not be strong without calcium, which can be obtained from fermented milk and dairy products, as well as some nuts and green vegetables.
- Not to do without vitamin D, without it calcium will not be acquired. It is in vegetable oils and fish.
Some exercises for correcting posture:
- Lie on your stomach, put a chair in front of you, place your hands along your body. Now, while inhaling, lift the torso, and pass your hands through the sides and place on the edge of the chair. Stay in this position for a few seconds, and then return to the original position.
- Stand at a wall at a distance of 30-40 centimeters from it. Bend your arms in the elbows, lift up, push them against the wall. The back should also touch the wall. Now inhale and bend forward, straightening your arms. On the exhale, return to the starting position.
- Take a gymnastic stick, turn it behind your back so that it touches the shoulder blades (hold it with your hands). Now turn left as far as possible, then return to the original position.Then make a turn in the other direction.
Watch your posture and always keep your back straight!
5 beauty products with unusual textures that work great
Chris Hemsworth learned how to dance salsa for his wife'
A simple picture of the modules
How to remove blood from clothes
Advantages and disadvantages of cat sterilization