What is falafel and how to cook it at home
National dishes from different countries actively replenish the cookbooks of good housewives. One of the oriental dishes, which is sure to please every family, is falafel. In the article I will tell you what falafel is, how to cook it from chickpeas, I will consider varieties and calorie content.
Falafel - what is it?
According to an old legend, for the first time, chickpea balls were served in Israel during strict posts to replace meat. For many years, he became so fond of it that he became not just a national dish, but a kind of a symbol of the state. Every tourist should try it, because such a universal treat is liked by both wealthy businessmen and ordinary students.
Useful advice before cooking
The main ingredient of the classic falafel is chickpeas.To maximize its useful properties, you can replace the traditional way of cooking - frying in oil, for a simpler - baking in the oven. It is enough to grease the baking tray with olive oil, put the chickpea cutlets and bake for half an hour.
How to cook classic chickpea falafel
The streets of Jerusalem and Tel Aviv can not be imagined without the fragrance of falafel. The main ingredient is chickpeas. It is used after soaking and raw. - leguminous plant, oily fruits which have a pleasant nutty flavor.
Everyone who decided to make a dish for the first time should master the classic recipe, which will become the basis for further experiments.
A few concepts you need to know before learning the skill of cooking:
- Bulgur- chopped wheat cereal, brewed with boiling water.
- Tahina pasteused for hummus. It contains sesame seeds, water, spices and salt. For the perfect tahina sauce, add finely chopped garlic and lemon juice.
- Chickpeas - 250 g;
- Water - 1 liter;
- Bulgur - 3 tbsp. l .;
- Wheat flour - 4 tbsp. l .;
- Onion - 1 piece;
- Garlic - 5 heads;
- Parsley, cilantro, cardamom;
- Cumin - 3 tbsp. l .;
- Coriander - 1 tbsp.l .;
- Soda, salt - 1 tsp .;
- Black pepper (ground) - 0.25 tsp;
- Caen pepper (ground) - 0.25 tsp;
- Curry powder - 1 tsp;
- Sunflower oil for frying - 0.5-1 l;
In classic falafel, chickpeas are not boiled, but soaked in cold water for at least 4 hours. It is better to soak the peas all night, then in the morning it will suck up enough liquid.
- Peas are ground into a uniform mash-like mass in a blender or food processor. Onions and greens finely crumble. Garlic is pressed through the garlic press or grated.
- Place chickpea, bulgur, onion, greens, garlic in a deep bowl, add cumin, pepper, coriander, curry, salt and pepper to taste. Intensely mix, pour 3 tablespoons of water and mix well again.
- From the resulting mass form the balls. To prevent the mixture from sticking to the hands, moisten them with water. Get about 18 pieces.
- In a deep frying pan, pour the oil. Spread falafel on a well heated pan so that it does not touch each other. The balls will be ready in 3-4 minutes of frying on medium heat.
- When the balls will be covered with a golden crust, lay them on a paper napkin to remove excess fat.
Served hot on the table with a light vegetable salad, heated pita, olives, tahini or hummus.
In Israel, falafel is spread in piita and sprinkled with tahini sauce, served with a salad of fresh cucumbers, tomatoes and radish.
Hummus- a traditional oriental snack made from chickpea puree, in which olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, sesame paste - tahini is added.
Falafel prepared according to the traditional recipe will acquire a new taste thanks to hummus. To make hummus paste you will need boiled chickpeas, sesame paste, garlic, juice of half a lemon, olive oil, salt and spices to taste. Ingredients are mixed into a homogeneous mass. She smears a bun or pita.
Recipe for delicious falafel in pita bread
Falafel in pita is very popular with Syrians. The dish is very satisfying, inexpensive and does not require much time for cooking. In the cities of eastern countries it is prepared right in front of customers. The recipe in pita is similar to the famous shawarma - a kind of oriental fast food. However, unlike popular fast food, it is not harmful, but useful and nutritious.Equally well combined with a glass of beer, and with your favorite juice.
After reading about the merits of dishes in pita, everyone probably wanted to cook it at home. It is easy!
- Falafel (first recipe);
- fresh or pickled cucumbers;
- a tomato;
- parsley, basil, mint;
- Bulgarian pepper;
- sour cream / mayonnaise;
- We prepare vegetables - thin cucumbers we cut cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and greens. Pita bread with a thin layer of sour cream or mayonnaise.
- You can cook a delicious sauce, mixed in equal parts sour cream with mayonnaise.
- In the pita, carefully arrange the vegetables, greens and, of course, falafel, which can be slightly crushed.
- On top of all poured hummus, you can add a little sesame paste.
- It remains to roll the resulting creation, as shawarma, a straw.
A simple recipe for lentils
Falafel will not lose its beneficial qualities if you replace the main component, chickpeas, with no less nutritious lentils. The difference between lentils is that it is less soft and crumbly, and the balls come out more dense, better keep their shape.
- 400-500 gr. lentils;
- 100 gr. Luke;
- greens (parsley, cilantro);
- 5-6 cloves of garlic;
- 1 tspcoriander;
- 1 tsp cumin;
- 1 tbsp. l. olive oil;
- juice of half a lemon;
- 2 tbsp. l. flour;
- salt, red and black pepper to taste.
- Soak the lentils overnight, and boil for half an hour in the morning, cool and grind in a blender until smooth.
- To the lentils add flour, spices, olive oil and mix again to the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- From the mass of blind balls or small patties, put on a preheated pan and fry until golden brown.
Traditional falafel diet not name. Chickpeas have a high content of easily digestible protein. For this quality he is especially loved in hot countries. Nutritional value per 100 grams:
- proteins - 13.9 g;
- fats 4.8 g;
- carbohydrates - 43.3 g
In 100 grams of falafel 264 kcal.This is a lot, so do not eat it for dinner. For lunch or lunch - a great option that will provide energy and perfectly satisfy hunger.
Falafel is an excellent dish to show culinary skills and to delight loved ones.
What to do in a crisis: make money on your dog
Rest in the country. Story
How to draw a scar on Halloween on the hand and face
The mood color is blue: gold jewelry with topaz
How to make a holiday in the style of Harry Potter
We select the perfect corrective underwear for any figure