Useful properties and features of cooking kumys dishes
Everyone knows that milk is very useful. But no less useful and dairy products, for example, koumiss.
What is this drink?
Kumis is a fermented milk drink, which is especially common among such ethnic groups as Karakalpaks, Kazakhs, Kyrgyz and other residents of Central Asia. It is prepared from traditional mare's milk, although goat or cow milk can also be used, but the properties will be somewhat different. Presumably the name comes from the Turkic "kymyz", which translates as "milk".
The drink has a white or slightly yellowish tint, usually foams strongly due to fermentation. The taste is usually sweet and sour. It should be noted that alcohol is present in koumiss, the content of which is usually about 1-2%. But it depends on the duration and conditions of fermentation, as well as the starter used, so in some cases it reaches 5 or even 8-10%, which is comparable with high-grade alcohol.
The preparation of koumiss is a very interesting process. Along with milk, components such as yeast and lactic acid sticks are also used. They provide fermentation, and after fermentation, the beverage is actively whipped and periodically stirred, which makes it frothy and uniform. Moreover, in the homeland of koumiss, all manipulations are carried out manually and take a lot of energy. But today, production in some regions has become industrial and put on stream.
The composition of koumiss is unique, it can detect components such as ascorbic acid, riboflavin, B12, thiamine, pantothenic acid, biotin, folic acid, fats (usually a little, especially if skimmed milk is used as the basis), protein, sugar, calcium, magnesium , phosphorus, vitamins D, PP, A.
Useful properties of such a unique drink as koumiss:
- Since the main component is milk containing calcium, the drink is very useful for bones and helps to strengthen them.
- The drink has strong antiseptic and antibacterial properties, so it can be used for various infections, especially intestinal.Externally, it can be used for purulent wounds or ulcers and accelerate their healing processes.
- Koumiss, firstly, increases the appetite, secondly, it increases the secretion of gastric juice, thirdly, it promotes the regeneration of the mucous membranes, fourthly, it normalizes the digestive processes and motility of the intestinal walls. And therefore it is often recommended for various diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Drink can both tone up, invigorate and increase the charge of energy, and, on the contrary, soothe, eliminate increased nervous irritability and noticeably improve sleep. It all depends on the strength of koumiss, the amount used and the individual reaction of the body.
- With regular use, you can significantly strengthen the immune system and increase the body's resistance to attacks of bacteria, fungi and viruses.
- This is an excellent general tonic, which is useful to use with increased loads, as well as after illness during the rehabilitation period.
- Koumiss can promote weight loss, because, firstly, it is low in calories, secondly, it perfectly satisfies hunger, thirdly, it accelerates metabolic processes and, therefore, stimulates the breakdown of fat deposits.
- The drink is also useful for the cardiovascular system, because it nourishes the heart muscle, cleanses and strengthens the vascular walls.
- Koumiss improves blood composition, for example, increases the number of red blood cells.
Is it possible for everyone to drink koumiss?
Despite the fact that koumiss is very useful, in some cases it can harm. So, with excessive use of it, digestion disorders can occur: bloating, diarrhea, gastralgia, eructation, increased gas production. If koumiss is strong enough, then after several glasses it may become drunk.
There are some contraindications, which include early childhood, lactose intolerance, allergies to milk, as well as diseases of the digestive system, which are in the acute stage.
How to cook?
Although the traditional cooking of koumiss is long and rather complicated, there is a more simplified recipe.
List of ingredients:
- liter of milk (it is best to use skimmed or at least low-fat);
- three teaspoons of sugar or natural honey;
- a glass of plain clean water;
- five grams of compressed yeast;
- two or three tablespoons of any leaven, such as kefir, yogurt, or yogurt.
- Milk should be boiled. Then mix it with water, add honey or sugar and cool the mixture to about 25-27 degrees. Next, add the leaven, and close the container tightly with a lid and store in a warm place (the temperature should not be below 30 degrees) for several hours or even overnight. It is also desirable to wrap it, for example, in a blanket.
- When the mixture is squashed (it thickens, starts to bubble), you should actively beat it up so that the liquid part separates. The formed lumps should be removed by filtering through a cloth or gauze folded several times.
- Next, prepare the yeast. Dissolve them in warm water, add some sugar to activate the fungi and start the fermentation process. Add the prepared mixture to the filtered sour milk, mix everything actively, pour it into separate containers (in principle, you can use one common one, but this can slow down the ripening) so that about a third of the free space remains (otherwise an explosion occurs).Leave the beverage at room temperature.
- When you notice that fermentation has become active, that is, bubbles have formed, then remove the containers in the refrigerator to enjoy light refreshing koumiss. If you want to get a stronger drink, then keep it longer.
What can be made of koumiss?
What to cook from koumiss? It can be an excellent fermented milk base for almost any baking, for example, pies, pancakes, fritters. You can also cook from it various savory sauces. Try adding it to various casseroles, especially sweet ones. Fermented milk shakes with berries and fruits are no less useful and tasty.
If you have not tried koumiss yet, be sure to try this drink and enter it into the menu as often as possible to improve your health.
Merry Christmas snowmen with needles
Delicious soups on beef broth - 10 step-by-step recipes
Lunar calendar haircuts for September 2017 - favorable days for creating a new hairstyle, hair coloring and manicure
Italian Easter Panettone Cupcake (quick recipe)
Why no longer need to be shy about stretch marks
Congratulations on the Day of the accountant team in verse and prose. How nice and respectful to congratulate colleagues, women and men on the Day of Accountant
Brad Pitt: From now on, I want to work only with my wife
Elections in Westeros: Vote who will take the Iron Throne