Affordable DIY School Supplies | RENEW Your Old School Supplies!
How to Reuse Old School Supplies
When a new school year arrives and you need school supplies but money is tight, reusing the old supplies can be just the solution you're after. Reusing last year's supplies in a thrifty way that still has cool results is simple.
Binders and folders
Binders.Binders are essential.
- Gather up all your old ones and scrub off (if possible) any writing or marks. Fix any rips or tears.
- Still looking ugly? Buy somecheapcolored duct tape (they have every color under the sun) and wrap it. May sound silly but it makes for a cool style and creative trend.
- If you just need decorations, see what you can collect for stickers. Bumper stickers, especially, can cover a multitude of sins.
Folders.Also pockets, dividers, and pouches of all sorts.
- Get every folder in the house and erase marks, tape tears, and so on.
- If you wrote on it with Sharpie, no problem. Just use some nail polish remover to get most of it off.
- Also, get reinforcements if they're paper and meant to put in binder rings. Stapling and decorating work here, too.
Notebooks.Old notebooks can be given a new lease of life and serve you well.
- Gather all old spirals and rip out the used pages, paper scraps, and subject labels.
- Write (on the front) the subject, your name, teacher, etc. Decorate it, make it yours.
- Use all the pages this year, so that you deserve a new one next year.
Filler paper.Loose-leaf paper. Call it what you want, but students go through itfast.
- Watch for specials and buy two or three packs. This is a good opportunity to look for deals on other items you've used up, too, like notebooks.
- Gather together all loose unused paper. Keep together under one big binder clip.
Pencils and pens.These don't tend to wear out, but they may need to be cleaned off. Toss any that don't still write.
Pencil bag.Okay, so you have one. But is it usable? If the binder holes (if any) have ripped, staple them. Or if you're up to it, stitch on some reinforcement with a needle and thread. Clean out the inside and put your supplies inside.
Backpack and lunch box.Plan to use these items from one year to the next, regardless of your budget. Therefore, always choose durable ones.
- Empty out any old trash.
- Wash them if you need to. Most will withstand hand washing, mild soap, cool water, and air drying. Prop it open so that air circulates over all the different surfaces. Allow plenty of time to air dry before you have to refill it.
- Learn a bit of basic hand stitching and you can mend most tears. To dress things up or cover holes and worn spots, sew on patches. If you don't have patches showing where you've been, make your own by cutting up jeans that you've worn out or outgrown.
- Be resourceful. Look at this as an opportunity to express your individuality.
- If you know you'll be using stuff for a few years, choose higher quality where it matters (backpack, pencil bag) and take care of them. Sturdy items need not be too expensive, and it may save you money in the long run.
- Use any supply budget you do have carefully. Fix and clean up everything you can, then spend money on things you really need.
- The duct tape thing is cool. Really. While fixing or redecorating your stuff, you may even start a trend.
- Replace items throughout the year as needed.
- Remember, reuse is easier on the environment, too.
- Choose basic pens and pencils, and try not to lose them. Tape your name onto them, so that they can find their way back to you if they are mislaid.
- Visit your local thrift store for unwanted supplies that cost a few pennies. Even other people's half used supplies can be put to good new use.
Video: Quick & Affordable DIY School Supplies | RENEW Your Old School Supplies
How to Get Dog Smell Out of a Basement
Beach Meets Art: QT Bondi x Shaun Gladwell
Kate Spade SpringSummer 2015 Collection – New York Fashion Week
20 Ways to Wear Your Leggings
Mucinex Allergy Reviews
Various kinds of skin care body butters – How to choose best butter for your skin type
How to Grow Plants Using Hydroponics
How to Make Steamed Sweet Potatoes
This Woman Invented A Bracelet That Might Make It Easier For You To Get Pregnant
Best Wedding Hairstyles
Beautiful skin – Every woman’s dream
Your iPhone Keeps a Creepy List of Every Place Youve Ever Been
History of the Little Black Dress
Tides Bar and Grill