How to fix the plinth?
Watch the video
Skirting - corner trim strip, which is designed to close the gaps between the wall and the floor or between the wall and the ceiling. Fixing the plinth - the final stage of any repair. In this article we will try to figure out which plinth is better to use and how to fix it correctly.
Plinth on the floor
Plinths are mainly of two types:
And today the plastic plinth is gaining more and more popularity. In addition, it is easier to mount. Therefore, it is worth considering in detail how to fix the plastic baseboard.
To begin, prepare the tool. In order to fix the plinth we need:
- hammer drill and a set of drills, including with pobeditovy tips;
- power cross screwdriver or screwdriver;
- nails and hammer;
Each method has its advantages and disadvantages. In any case, before starting to mount the plinth, it is necessary to determine not only the installation method, but also the amount of material and additional decorative elements. This is done like this:
- Using roulette measure the length of the perimeter of the room.
- Calculate the required number of profiles. The standard length of the plinth profile is 2.5 m. It is necessary to add 2 meters to the obtained perimeter length and divide the amount by the profile length, that is, by 2.5.
- We count the number of internal and external corners in the room. That is how much need connecting corners. They are also internal and external.
- If the length of the wall in the room is greater than the standard length of the profile, that is, 2.5 m, the profile will have to be extended. For this, there are also special elements - connectors. Their number also needs to be calculated before purchase.
- The ends of the plinth at each doorway are closed with special plugs. Be careful, they are left and right respectively.
- In addition, it is necessary to stock up dowels, screws, plastic plugs for screws in the tone of the plinth. In case you decide to fix the plinth with special fasteners, you must also purchase them. The calculation is simple - a plastic plinth is attached to the wall every 40 centimeters. But all fasteners should be taken with stock.
Principles of mounting plinth
The plastic plinth can be attached in three different ways:
- using special mounts;
- with glue;
- using dowels.
Staples or special fasteners
The advantages of this method are that there are no noticeable signs of mounting on the baseboard. The profile itself is quite easily removed.
The main disadvantage of this method is that for installation using brackets, ideally smooth walls and floors are needed. In addition, despite the fact that the manufacturer usually claims that the profile can easily be re-installed on the same brackets, in reality this is not always possible.
Fixing with glue
Advantages in ease of installation (glue is applied to the back surface of the profile and the profile itself is pressed against the wall). The appearance of the plinth also does not suffer. The disadvantage is the same as in the previous case. Looking for a perfectly flat wall. In addition, it is unlikely to be able to use the dismantled profile.
Fastening with dowels and screws
The advantages are that it is the most reliable and cheapest method of fastening.
And disadvantages - labor costs are significantly higher than in the case of the above methods.Plus, the caps of the screws will be visible on the profile and they will have to be closed with special plugs.
Now we will look at how to properly fix the PVC plinth with screws.
- We start to mount the plinth from the inside corner of the room. First of all, we do the markup. The first fastener should be at a distance of 5 cm from the corner. Next step mounting is 40 cm.
- At the desired distance, using a thin drill, drill a hole in the profile.
- We attach the drilled profile to the wall and with a pencil we outline the places where the dowels will be in the wall.
- We insert into the cartridge of the impact drill a drill with a pointed tip. The diameter of the drill is equal to the diameter of the dowel. We drill the wall in the designated places.
- Insert the dowel in the hole.
- We insert the profile into the inner connecting corner and fasten it to the wall with screws. The cap of the screw should be completely pressed into the plastic, but in no case should it be pushed through.
- Before fixing the last section of the profile, we always mount the connection we need (internal or external corner, connector, cap).
- After the installation of the profile is completed, we close the caps of the screws with special plugs.
Installation of wooden plinth is similar, but there are some nuances and a lot of them. Therefore, we consider how to fix the wooden baseboard on the points. For a start, let's prepare the tool. The list of the necessary tools is in many respects identical to what we considered when fixing the plastic plinth, but it is slightly wider. In addition to the above, we need:
- hacksaw for wood instead of hacksaw for metal;
Also from the materials we need:
- wooden plinth;
- putty on wood;
- varnish or paint;
- self-tapping screws;
After the tool is prepared, proceed to the installation.
- As in the case of plastic plinth, installation begins with the inner corner of the room. Using the miter box, cut off the ends of two profiles at an angle of 45 degrees.
- With the help of a thin drill drill the baseboard at the desired distance. The first mount will be at a distance of 5 cm from the corner. But the next ones can be done on a larger one - every 50 cm. The wooden plinth is much stronger and tougher than plastic, this distance between the attachment points is quite enough.
- We attach the profile to the wall and plan the installation location of the dowels. Drill holes and install dowels.
- In the profile itself, we make the so-called “sweat” - grooves so that the cap of the screw is completely hidden in the profile. To do this, we use a drill with a diameter slightly larger than the screw head.
- We apply the prepared profile to the wall so that the holes in it coincide with the installation positions of the dowels. With the help of a power cross screwdriver or a screwdriver, screw in the screws.
- After installation, all the cracks are sealed with wood putty.
- After drying, we clean the putty with emery paper and you can start painting or varnishing the plinth.
To fix the ceiling plinth is much easier. In the first place - because of the material, as a rule, for the manufacture of ceiling plinth or fillets used foam.
It is recommended to fix the PVC plinth on the ceiling before painting and pasting wallpaper.
From the tools we need:
- miter box;
- small spatula;
- capacity for mixing putty;
- Also, in addition to the profile itself, we will need a finishing putty, the mark does not matter, but it is better to use the same as in the repair process.
The installation of the plinth itself is as follows:
- As in the case of the plinth, we start from the inner corner of the room.
- Using the mash we cut off the angles at 45 degrees.
- Immediately before installation, we wet the wall and ceiling in the place of fixing the baseboard.
- We dilute the putty and put a spatula on the profile at the attachment points.
- We press the profile to the wall and ceiling.
- Excess putty clean.
- All gaps are filled with the same putty that is used for installation.
- All joints and corners are also filled up with a putty, it keeps well on the foam.
- Remnants of putty we clean with wet rags.
- After the putty has dried, the plinth can be painted.
How to make a watch in Minecraft
14 secrets of the perfect manicure at home
Top of the most stylish styles of boots this season
Do-it-yourself dresser restoration
How to choose a hair dye
Hair Clip Dandelions
A brooch made of satin and satin ribbons
Naomi Campbell has an affair with P Diddy again