How to stop your Belly button smelling
How to Clean Your Belly Button
Your belly button is easy to overlook, but it needs to be cleaned just like every other part of your body. Whether you’re caring for a new piercing or you just like to be squeaky-clean, cleaning your belly button is easy!
If you want to clean your belly button, first dip a cotton swab into a saline solution or rubbing alcohol. If you have a piercing, choose the saline solution for gentle antiseptic cleaning. Next, gently rub the swab inside of your naval, swirling it around to remove dirt. You may need to use more than one swab to get your belly button completely clean. Once you're finished, dry your belly button thoroughly with a clean cotton swab or a towel.Keep reading for tips on caring for a naval piercing!
Cleaning Your Belly Button or Navel
Gather your supplies.Of course, you'll need a few cotton swabs. But other than that, there's no go-to set of ingredients that people use to clean their belly button. Rather, they use a whole host of items. Experiment for yourself what works best on your body. You can use:
- Baby oil
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Rubbing alcohol
- Another kind of astringent, like witch hazel
Dip one head of the cotton swab into whatever cleaning solution you want to use and start poking around in your belly button.Gently work your way around the belly button, being careful not to rub inside the navel too hard.
Discard old swabs and repeat the process if your navel is still dirty.You should only need one or two takes, and you're ready to go. When you're done, take a clean swab and gently clean out any remaining cleaning solution still present in the navel. Make sure to get as much water, baby oil, hydrogen peroxide, or rubbing alcohol from your belly button as possible.
- If your belly button is dry, use some Neosporin and you work your way around your navel. Use a slow, circular pattern and get right in the middle before removing the cream entirely with a swab.
Taking Regular Care of Your Belly Button
If caring for a piercing, make sure to soak your belly button in salt water.It is not a good idea to take your piercing, if you have one, out every once in a while, because that is when most bacteria and other infection-causing things get in. Also, it can take as little as ten or fifteen minutes for a piercing to start closing up! Even if it isn't completely closed, it may be too painful for you to re-insert it. Do not remove a new piercing until you are sure it is fully healed, and there is no blood or pus coming from it, or crust on the jewelry. If your belly button is pierced, move it as high up as possible, soak it, then as far down as possible. Make sure you de-crust it, using a clean paper towel soaked in the saline solution because it can cause pain if you try to slide it when there is crust present. Make sure you use SEA salt. Iodized (table) salt will do nothing for preventing infections! If you have an infected piercing, do not take out the jewelry. This can cause it to close with the infection inside, and it is not pretty. See a doctor.
Make sure you dry your navel carefully after you take a shower.Too much water and moisture can promote the growth of more harmful bacteria. Remember, your belly button is a haven for over 1,500 kinds of healthy bacteria— you don't want those interfered with by bad bacteria.
Remember that you don't have to clean your belly button regularly.As long as you regularly bathe and use effective soap in and around your belly button, you don't have much to worry about. Your belly button, unlike your teeth, does not require constant supervision. Your belly button is like the brother who prefers to be left in his room for the whole day and prepares his own meals.
QuestionIf I don't dry my belly button after I take a shower, it begins to smell. Why?Jb0ss RocksCommunity AnswerBecause, if you didn't dry it, moisture is still inside. Moisture is one the the main conditions in which bacteria thrive, and bacteria can cause odor.Thanks!
QuestionI get a strong smell from my innie. Is that normal?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf you have an innie with a strong smell, you should clean it with Q tips. Lay down on your back and put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in it. Let it sit and clean it out with a Q tip.Thanks!
QuestionCan I clean my belly button with baby oil?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes. You can use any kind of oil, be it olive oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, etc.Thanks!
QuestionCan I use moisturizer?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, but afterwards make sure you wash it all out because it can cause some weird smells if it remains in your belly button for a long period of time.Thanks!
QuestionWill my belly button get infected if I don't clean it?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo it won't, it has some useful bacteria. Clean it regularly but make sure that you don't over clean it. Use a moist muslin cloth to clean it.Thanks!
QuestionWill something happen if I don't ever clean my belly button?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can get navel stones, which are ugly. The area can look very dirty. Worst of all, it can stink.Thanks!
QuestionWhat happens if I over-clean my belly button?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerUnless you are very rough, not much will happen. Navels are healed wounds. But it can get irritated with constant poking and prodding. If you are concerned after consistently cleaning your belly button, see a doctor.Thanks!
QuestionCan belly buttons open up when poked too much?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo, it's a closed off, healed area of your body. As it says in the tips, if washing it concerns you, see a doctor.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I get an outie?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can't just get an outie; you need to either have an innie or outie. It depends how they cut the cord when you were a baby.Thanks!
QuestionWhen I gain weight my belly button begins to smell? Why?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerWhen you start to gain weight, your belly button can expand in size. This can lead to increased dander trapped in the belly button. Follow above directions above to significantly reduce belly button odor.Thanks!
Why is my belly button crusty and my finger stinky after I touch it?
What can I do if I can't touch my belly button?
How do I get my belly button to be light in color if it is black and I have pale skin?
Can use antibacterial ointment in my belly?
How do I clean a deep and narrow belly button? The hole is so small and deep I dont know if Ive cleaned it or pushed stuff further in :\
- For people with belly buttons that smell bad and exhibit redness, use a wash that is specially formulated for sensitive skin or feminine wash. The most common cause of an odor from belly buttons is washing with bar soap without rinsing well, so the skin becomes dry and irritated.
- Q-tips are the same thing as cotton swabs; they are just a specific brand of the product.
- Your belly button is a closed, healed area of your stomach. Nothing should be able to enter your body that way. Ask your doctor if washing it concerns you.
- Do not use hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol as it can further damage the wound, as can cotton swabs, if you aren't careful. Instead, use antibacterial soap and warm salt water. You could also try an antibiotic ointment.
- You could use petroleum jelly on your belly button. After applying, wait for 5 to 20 minutes, then take a tissue and start cleaning. Any residue should come out simply.
- Even if perfume contain alcohol, it is never a good idea to use it to clean your belly button since it can cause rashes.
- Call your piercer if something seems amiss with your piercing. If you fear it may be infected, call your piercer, not your friends. They are NOT the professional.
- Seek medical assistance if you have accidentally injured your navel while cleaning.
- If your belly button itches or burns go to the doctor. It may be infected.
- Be careful when cleaning your belly button. Rushing in it may hurt you and inflict pain to your belly button.
- Never use sharp or dirty objects to clean your belly button.
- Keep the alcohol and the cotton swabs away from children.
- If you have a piercing follow your piercer's instructions. Some beads on body jewelry crack or shatter when in the presence of alcohol, even the small amount in mouthwash.
Things You'll Need
Warm Water / Baby oil
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Español: , Deutsch: , Português: , Nederlands: , Italiano: , Français: , 中文: , Русский: , Čeština: , Bahasa Indonesia: , 日本語: , ไทย: , العربية: , हिन्दी: , Tiếng Việt: , 한국어:
Video: Cleaning your Navel Medical Course
How to Know When Your Marriage Is Over
The Blonde Salad’s Chiara Ferragni Will Make 8 Million This Year:Report
Braids, Buns, and Beach Waves: 18 Stylish Summer Hair Ideas FromPinterest
How to Buy Anime Without Spending Too Much Money
Weight Watchers Changes Name to WW, and Twitter Immediately Mocks It
How Massage Therapy Helps Relieve Osteoarthritis Pain
How to Have Light Skin
Exercise Motivation: How to Keep Going When You Want to Quit
5 Buying Special Face Products Is A Waste Of Money
How to Have Sex Appeal