How to clean tile seams from dirt, grease, grout and tile glue
Ceramic tiles are one of the most popular building materials for cladding. It can be used in rooms with a high level of humidity - in the bathroom, on the kitchen working surface or as a floor covering.
After a while, the lining begins to lose its appearance, especially at the seams between the tiles.
The reasons for the loss of color include:
- Increased humidity and mold.
- Kitchen fat.
- Dust and dirt from the street.
- Exposure to aggressive detergent chemicals.
Along with the main reasons, the influence of factors that enhance the process of pollution can be affected:
- Improper grouting.
- Tile adhesive in the seams.
- The substrate under the tile is not treated with means from mold and fungus.
- Grout was not covered with a protective compound.
- Unheated room.
The choice of a method for cleaning seams at home depends on the cause that affected the color change.If a fungus has appeared due to high humidity, it is not enough just to remove it, you need to take steps to remove it so that it does not appear again.
Preparation and security measures
Clear seams can be quickly and effectively, for this you need to properly prepare the conditions for work. Everything that can complicate the process is removed from the bathroom, toilet or kitchen: wall-mounted cabinets, shelves, items on the floor. In some cases, it is necessary to dismantle the sink or toilet.
For safety reasons, rubber gloves and safety glasses are used, especially when working with acid.
How to remove tile adhesive
There are many ways to remove adhesive from tiles. Clean the tile until the glue has frozen. The hardened solution is harder to clean. Who is engaged in laying ceramic tiles, knows that you can clean it with a wet rag after installing the coating.
After laying the tiles, traces of mortar remain, but they are quickly removed.
- Take a construction grater. Keep the tool upright.
- Move diagonally, so as not to hurt the solution in the seams.
- Do not use force. There will be scratches from the instrument.
- If the solution is difficult to remove, it can be pre-wetted.
- The dried glue can be cleaned with a damp cloth or sponge.
Tips did not help? Use a dry, coarse cloth.
It is more difficult to clean the frozen glue. In this case, the use of chemicals and physical strength is allowed.
- Use a damp cloth to clean the tile from dust.
- Apply specialized chemistry for cleaning glue on a sponge. Treat contaminated area.
- The glue should soften. Waiting time can be found in the instructions attached to the chemical.
- Wash off with water.
For reliability get a cleansing agent of the same brand as the glue. Tiles can be difficult to clean with chemicals, sometimes they are not suitable for some types of coverage.
When you need to remove the frozen glue after dismantling, use the tools: grinder, hammer, chisel. Standard actions:
- The sharp side of the chisel is applied to the surface closer to the glue border.
- The instrument moves smoothly forward, striking blows along the blunt side.
- The residual glue is moistened with a solvent. Plaque cleaned with a stiff brush.
- Then the ceramics are washed.
You can clean the glue with a plastic spatula. The tool does not damage the tile and guarantees a result.
- Glue soften with water, solvent.
- Then scraped.
- The procedure is repeated until the entire solution is removed.
- In some cases, construction pumice can be used.
- Wipe cleaned with a cloth.
It is possible to use not only special means, but also national. To do this, use household solutions.
- Table Vinegar.Apply to the stain, react with glue, then remove the residue and the surface is washed with water. Vinegar can be replaced with citric acid. After use, there is an unpleasant smell, so air the room.
- Baking soda.Apply to a damp sponge, wipe the area with dirt. Do not use force, you can damage the tile, leave traces.
- White.Softens the glue, so contamination is removed more easily. Wear gloves while working.
The steam cleaner can easily remove the dried solution. Steam removes other dirt on the tile.
In the shops you can find various tools that will help in removing stains.They have labels, where the principle of action is described in detail. Well with the problem cope with substances containing acid. It should be borne in mind that not all preparations are universal - some help remove glue, others only soften it.
Grout removal - simple and effective methods
When finishing the room tiles, do not do without grouting. After that, traces of fugue remain on the surface. The question is how to clean it? Grouting requires attention, but more importantly, the cleaning process of grout residues. If this is neglected, all work will go down the drain.
The compound for filling the seams begins to set after 10 minutes. It is better to remove the excess immediately, without the use of funds, but only with a damp cloth.
Work should be done carefully, without damaging the seam. If traces of the fugue cannot be washed off the first time, the procedure will need to be repeated again. Wash the rags after each use.
If the composition is not washed immediately, and he froze, apply the following method:
- A construction grater is taken and contamination removed. At the same time, it is necessary to control the pressure force on the tile, otherwise it is possible to damage the surface.
- Use a damp cloth or sponge to remove stains. The fabric must be clean, otherwise additional stains can not be avoided.
If the fugue has hardened and could not be cleared immediately, you will need the help of special chemicals. The used tool must contain acid to remove grout, glue, and cement.
To clean the ceramics, the chemistry is applied with a brush on the dried grout and left for a while to soften the pollution. You can then remove the leftovers. Clean water will help with divorces.
Before you apply the epoxy grout studied all the nuances. During the installation work you need to do everything quickly, because the composition hardens instantly. The finished mixture is made in small quantities. Do not hit the solution on the surface of the cladding.
If the fugue hit the tile, remove it immediately using epoxy resin reagents. After a day, the pollution will be removed only mechanically, and there is a possibility of damage to the cladding material.
It is not always possible to find chemistry that will help clean up pollution quickly.The task will cope with cleaning substances that everyone has in the house. These include:
- Acid-based products.
- Means against limescale.
It should be borne in mind that home remedies can also help. Can be used:
- A mixture of table vinegar and baking soda, which is mixed in equal proportions until a homogeneous mass.
- The composition is applied to the place of contamination and is removed after 30 minutes with a brush.
- Citric acid or table vinegar, diluted in water. The principle of operation is the same as that of vinegar and soda.
To clear the stains, use:
- Water with the addition of white alcohol.
- Water with the addition of glycerin in proportions of 3 to 1.
- Water with the addition of ammonia, 1 liter 1 teaspoon.
There are many ways to clean the fugue, but it is better not to let the grout come on the lining. During installation, you can glue the tiles with masking tape, which will protect against possible contamination.
Removing plaque from tiles
The formation of plaque on the tile is not uncommon. Contact with water and detergents leads to this. Questions about cleaning methods are still relevant.
Before you begin to clean the tiles, you need to deal with the causes of the formation of plaque.
The bathroom uses running water, which contains salt and lime. After hitting the pottery, when drying, they leave traces. Accumulating in one place, calcareous crystals are formed, which are difficult to remove.
Modern chemistry contains substances that react quickly and can cope with pollution in a few minutes.
Housewives choose universal household chemicals that remove plaque, rust, mold. They are suitable for any surface, but it should be borne in mind that some detergents adversely affect the facing material. For example, acrylic tiles do not tolerate solvents and acids, for this purpose it is better to use aerosols and gels.
Effective are: "Komet", "Mr. Muskul", "Domestos" and many others. Do not forget that the acid reacts to the grout and corrodes the tile.
You can easily remove plaque with improvised means:
- Lemon.Places of pollution treated with a fresh piece of lemon. You can use citric acid.
- Soda and table vinegar.A baking soda is applied to a piece of cloth and rubbed on problem areas, and vinegar is sprayed on top. After a while, everything is washed off with clean water.
- Vinegar.Essence is diluted with water.The solution is sprayed onto the plaque and washed off after 10 minutes.
- Ammonia.Used as vinegar: diluted in proportions of 1 to 2 with water and applied to the contamination.
For safety, wear gloves, protect your eyes, and ventilate the room!
Spots of fat - a common situation. Their appearance is inevitable if you cook food daily.
A tile can remain clean and please the eye with a glow for many years, if you follow some rules:
- Do not use in the work brushes with a hard and metallic pile;
- In time to wash the tile, immediately after the appearance of the stain;
- Use for cleaning special tools and scrapers;
- For gloss use special chemicals.
Fresh greasy stains are easy to remove with water and detergent. For old spots use strong drugs that require more time to react. The principle of operation is:
- The tile is wiped with a damp sponge.
- The composition is applied to the surface for cleaning and left for the time specified in the instructions.
- Fat is cleaned with a scraper.
- The detergent is rinsed off with water.
When purchasing household chemicals, be sure to read the instructions. Many substances are not suitable for all types of surfaces.
For cleaning use domestic and foreign products that can be purchased at hardware stores. Excellent fat removes "Shumanit", "Mr. Muscle" and many other brands. The principle of operation is the same for everyone. It is described in detail by the manufacturer in the instructions on the package.
You can clean the tile using the available tools available in each house:
- Laundry soap.Cleans and degreases the surface. You will need to lather the sponge well and wipe the place of contamination.
- Soda.Suitable for old stains. Water is added to the soda to form a paste, applied with a brush to the surface.
- Butter.Copes with a thick spot. It is applied to a contaminated area and left for 25 minutes. The stain is scrubbed to extinction.
- Mustard powder.Diluted with water to the consistency of the paste. The composition is applied to the tile and after 20 minutes, wipe with a damp sponge.
- Baking powder for the dough.Diluted with water and applied to the lining. Due to the presence of soda and flour, baking powder is an abrasive substance.
- Alcohol.For old stains suitable alcohol, which is washed off with warm water.
Mold and fungus removal
The appearance of mold and mildew at the joints of the tile is a frequent occurrence. They spoil the appearance of the room and have a detrimental effect on the body. Mold can form for the following reasons:
- Errors in the installation process.
- Lack of ventilation.
- Low temperature.
- High humidity.
- Constant availability of water.
Mold and fungus appear on the seams between the tiles, in the corners of rooms, at the junction of the walls, between the cabinets. If they are detected, it is worthwhile to treat them with, for example, a primer against a fungus.
- Chlorine based detergents. Effective disinfect surface. Mold will not appear in the processing areas.
- Antifungal agents. They have a detrimental effect on mold, fungus, and bacteria.
From scrap materials suitable soda, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar. Soda is poured into the container, then the seams are cleaned with a wet toothbrush.
Alcohol-based products are sprayed into places of contamination, and then removed with a sponge.
In some cases, it is difficult to remove the fungus and mold in the following ways, then it is used for staining.To do this, remove the grout with a sharp object, and a new, anti-fungal effect, overwrites the seams. The mixture is applied with a rubber spatula.
Work can be done efficiently and effectively, if you follow the recommendations:
- Actions to perform gloves, as some substances are aggressive.
- To begin to clean the bottom and to wipe with a dry cloth to cover the top.
- If the tile is glossy, it is better not to use a brush with a metallic pile and abrasives to avoid cracks and scratches.
- To protect the seam is better to use epoxy paint.
- Before using chemicals, it is necessary to study the instructions for use.
- It is not enough to clean the surface, you still need to dry it.
- Hydrogen peroxide is suitable for bleaching seams.
Getting rid of dirt on ceramics is not an easy task. It takes a lot of time and effort. To remove the suitable special cleaning substances or improvised means. The most important thing is to do everything right to get rid of problems for a long time.
Warm knitted hat for winter
Online stores with plus size and large sizes
Christmas tree toy
Growing crocuses at home
To keep your feet dry. We make shoes waterproof