Which Mac to Buy in 2018? MacBook vs Air vs Pro!
How to Buy a Mac Computer at a Discount
Finding a Discount Computer
Choose a model.If you're only interested in the latest models, compare them with . For older models, check out buyer's guides from Mac Rumors and similar sites.
Get an educational discount if possible.Current or incoming college students get a major discount, as do faculty and staff at any school. Visit to get the cheaper price. After you choose a product and enter payment info, Apple will send you to another site to verify your status for free.
- You'll need proof of your educational status (typically a student or staff ID). If you do not have this, call or visit an Apple Store for advice.
- Look for summer back to school deals. Apple usually throws in a free 0 gift card to the App Store.
Shop for refurbished computers.Refurbished computers were returned to Apple due to some defect, but have since been fixed and tested thoroughly. Most are identical to a brand new computer, and with free returns you can't really go wrong. They're typically between 10% and 20% off, but you can only choose from .
- Remember to check the exact model of each computer. An older model can save you some money, but make sure it has the specs you need.
Check for clearance products.Apple does have clearance sales, but they're not common. from time to time and you might get lucky.
Look for quality used computers.Apple does not allow other sellers to use the term "refurbished."This means "used" Apple computers range from dented bricks to fully repaired beauties. PowerMax and Simply Mac are two sellers that offer "used" computers that are often as good as new.
- Used computers may lack the original packaging and manual.
- You can find cheaper deals on other sites, but check for Apple certification and good customer reviews before you buy.
Find cheaper new computers.Even if none of the discount options above are right for you, you can save money just by shopping around. The Apple Store almost always lists the highest prices. Instead, browse authorized apple resellers such as MacMall or Mac Connection, and larger retailers such as Best Buy.
- Apple has approved sellers with an "Apple Authorized Reseller" title. Stores that offer excellent guidance earn "Apple Specialist" status.
- Search the store's online site first for discount offers. If you decide to visit in person, print out the online deal and take it with you.
Saving on Extra Costs
Compare close offers between resellers.If you find two or three offers that are fairly close in price, read the fine print. Many resellers offer extra deals, such as discount Apple Care warranties or free software. If you plan on purchasing the "extra" anyway, the nominally more expensive computer might be the better deal.
- The Apple Store rarely offers this kind of deal on computers, except in the educational store.
Install extra RAM yourself.Upgrading the RAM on a new Mac computer can make it much faster, but buying the RAM yourself is much cheaper than getting it from Apple.All you need to install the RAM is steady hands, a screwdriver, and a set of instructions. We've got the last covered with guides for Mac Mini, iMac, and .
- Not all RAM is created equal. As of late 2015, DDR3 and DDR4 are the latest standards, and comparable in performance for home users.
Consider buying hard drive space separately.Buying a separate hard drive is generally cheaper than upgrading your Mac's hard drive size at the time of purchase. Just store the files you don't use as often on the backup.
Be careful with third-party laptop chargers.Mac laptop chargers are notoriously expensive. Unfortunately, the ultra-cheap options are usually knockoffs that overheat or fail after a short time. It's best to stick with chargers made by Apple.
- Even used laptops usually come with a charger, so you don't need to worry about this for a while.
QuestionAre there any disabled vet discounts?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerApple does have a discount for veterans, federal and state government employees. There is a 0.00 discount for members of these groups. If you are looking to upgrade your selection they also offer discounts on the upgrades too. If you go to the Apple site and click on the Shopping Help button at the bottom of the page it will bring up several boxes one of which is for Payment and Pricing which will take you to the government pricing page.Thanks!
QuestionCan I get a discount when buying a Mac if I am a private education tutor?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo, that is very unlikely. I would recommend trying to find a used or refurbished Mac at a cheaper price.Thanks!
QuestionDo they have educator discounts for teachers?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes. Go to the Apple Education Store on the Apple website. Find the name of the public school where you teach, and the page will refresh with the lower prices indicated. The same discount is also available to college students, who need only to find the name of the college they attend for the lower prices to show.Thanks!
QuestionDo they have discounts for grade school students?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo. Here is the description Apple provides: "Education pricing is available to college students, students accepted to college, parents buying for college students, faculty, homeschool teachers, and staff at all grade levels."Thanks!
QuestionDo churches receive discounts?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerUnfortunately, churches or other similar organizations are not eligible for a discount.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I get a student discount if I go to a private academy?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerDiscounts usually work when you are in a college and have an ID. I recommend e-mailing Apple through support or talking to your administrator to check for you.Thanks!
Retired from area education agency after 24 years can I get a discount on an Apple laptop counter?
Are there any discounts for retired federal employees?
Can I buy two Apple computers in one year on a student discount?
Is the discount different for a student and a staff of a university?
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- In the United States, you can sometimes avoid sales tax if you purchase the computer from an online retailer that doesnothave a physical store in your state. The legal ground is shifting quickly, so this is becoming harder and harder to do.
- Be very cautious when browsing non-authorized retailers. Unofficial resellers cannot offer Apple warranty.Check the return policy before buying, since you won't be able to return it directly to Apple.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Español: , Deutsch: , Português: , Italiano: , Русский: , Français: , Bahasa Indonesia:
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 640,107 times.
Video: Why You Should and Shouldn’t Buy a Mac Computer
Yoga Shorts for Women by Length
Kerry Washinton Live-Tweeted Scandal Through the Early Stages of Labor
Save Produce: How to Bring Any Almost-Spoiled Produce Back to Life
Win the Cold (and Flu) War
10 Boutique Stays That Will Blow Your Mind
Best of the Week: Alicia Keys’ Side-Swept Hair, Khloe Kardashian’s Wine Lip,More
How to Create a Sketchbook
30 Alluring Hairstyles for Your Winter Wish List
The 1 Reason to Order White Rice Instead of Brown
Many Americans Dont Know How to Handle High Cholesterol
Date: 09.12.2018, 15:39 / Views: 75345