How To Ask Out Your Best Friend
How to Ask Your Best Friend to Prom
Prom can be one of the most fun experiences of your high school career and having the right date can either add to or detract from that fun. Perhaps you are thinking of asking your best friend to prom because you have a great time with them or maybe you want the relationship to progress beyond a friendship. Whatever your intentions, you can ask your friend to prom either through having a talk, coming up with a cool and fun way to ask, or by asking on the sly.
Having a Conversation
Gather your thoughts.If you are considering asking your friend to prom, especially if you have feelings for them, you might want to think before you speak. Consider all of the reasons why you want to ask them and write them down. This will help you be better able to ask them with confidence when you see them.
Find some time to talk.Call or text your friend and let them know that you want to talk to them about something. Assure them that it is nothing serious. Try to meet somewhere that is quiet like a park, coffee shop, or even one of your houses.
- If you are asking them to prom because you like them as more than a friend, you may want to do so outside of school so that you have more time to talk.
- You can also talk on the phone, if you wish.
Tell them your thoughts.Once you have met up, be very honest as genuine with them. Tell them why you want to go to prom together and present all of the pros to them. You might want to find out if they have already said they would go with someone else, too.
- If you are asking strictly as friends, you might say “We have so much fun and I want us to go to prom together so we can really have a good time. What do you think?”
- If you are interested in them as more than friends, you can say “Lately, I’ve been thinking that I might like you as a bit more than a friend. And I wouldn’t want to go to prom with anyone but you. Will you be my date?”
Ask them their thoughts.After you have spoken your piece, it is now time to hear them out. Perhaps they already have a date and don’t want to back out on them. Maybe they were not planning to go to prom or had not considered going with you and will need some time to think. They might also be completely on board with the idea and be ecstatic about going with you.
- Whatever their reaction, listen to them and accept their answer.
Give them some time to think.Your friend might not be able to give you an answer on the spot and that is okay. Don’t pressure them to give you an answer immediately, but tell them that you’ll give them a few days to think about it. Don’t bring it up to them again until after that time has passed.
Accept their answer.Once your friend gives you an answer, accept it without judgement. Don’t try to change their mind if they say no. If they say yes, enjoy the moment and begin making preparations for the big day.
- If they say no, begin thinking of others to ask or simply go alone or with other friends.
Asking in a Creative Way
Include their interests.Perhaps you are looking to make your invitation to them a bit more formal or dramatic. Begin thinking of all of the things that your friend enjoys and find ways to incorporate this into your big ask.
- For instance, if they love the color pink, buy bunches of pink balloons and write something on a poster like “I have a question for you! Pop the balloons to find out” and then place note cards with “will” “you” “go” “to” “prom” “with” “me” in them. They will have to put the notecards together and will enjoy your sweet gesture.
Consider a scavenger hunt.Another creative way to invite your friend is to lead them to the question via a scavenger hunt. Create clues at various locations that are relatively close together and important to your friendship. These locations could be your houses, your school, the movie theater, or the mall. Leave clues at these locations in a place where they won’t be disturbed.
- At the end of the scavenger hunt, have a large sign that says “Prom?”
Decorate their locker.Another fun way to ask your friend is to decorate their locker. Arrive to school earlier than normal or stay later and begin decorating. Use their favorite colors or pictures of their favorite things to decorate.
- For instance, if they love soccer, you could decorate it with their favorite soccer player or team and write something like “It’s my goal to take you to prom. Can I?”
- Make sure you don’t damage the locker in any way. If you get in trouble, you might not be able to go to prom.
Buy them something they like or want.You can also invite your friend to prom through buying them a gift of some sort. This gift does not have to be expensive, just heartfelt and something they enjoy.
- For instance, if they like a certain kind of candy, buy some for them and put a note on it that reads “It would be sweet if you went to prom with me.”
Enlist the help of others.In coming up with a unique and fun way to invite your friend to prom, you might need the help of others to make it a true success. Hit up your other friends to help you with this or even your best friend’s parents, particularly if you will need access to their room for your invite.
- You might want to decorate their driveway and write “Prom?” using sparklers. If so, you will need their parent’s help and permission.
Playing It Cool
Ask who they’re going with.If you don’t feel comfortable with asking your friend directly or ornately, you might find a way to ask them with a bit more finesse and ease. Begin this by asking if they are going with someone already. If so, you might want to reconsider asking them.
Tell them you’re looking for a date.If they don’t have a date yet, tell them that you are looking for someone to go with. Doing so will remind them that you are available and they may also begin thinking about the possibility of going with you.
- You might say something like “Yeah, I don’t have a date either. I really want to go with someone who I know I’ll have fun with.”
Throw hints.You can also begin to throw little hints about the two of you going to prom together. You can say things like “My mom asked if we were going to go together” or “Everyone keeps saying you and I should just be each other’s dates.” Their response will allow you to assess how they feel about the idea.
- If they immediately shut it down, then perhaps consider asking someone else.
Make statements alluding to going together.After you have tested the waters, you can begin making statements about what it would be like to go together. You can talk about how much fun you would have, what colors you would wear, what songs you would get the most hype to, or anything else you two would enjoy together.
- Use this as an opportunity to present the pros. Talk about how little pressure it would be compared to going with someone else.
Ask them to go with you.Finally, you should ask your friend. Though you do want to present the idea to them subtly, you still do want to see how they feel about it officially. Say something like “So what do you think? Do you wanna go to prom together?” If they say yes, then great! If not, then at least you tried.
Accept their answer.Be sure not to take their answer personally if they say no. If you feel comfortable doing so, talk directly about it with your friend to find out their reasoning and situation in a non-judgemental and respectful way.
Video: Want To Ask Out Your Girl Best Friend? Here's How To Do It
Black Tea Consumption Linked to Low Diabetes Rates
Flavor-Filled Broccoli Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes or Less
How to Relieve Hand Cramps
5Natural Ways toUnclog Different Types ofSkin Pores
How to Become the Math Star at Your School
4 Diseases Linked To Subpar Dental Habits
Lily Albert Knitwear: AW12 Collection
7 Things Your Husband Wants to Tell You
60 Days In: The worst things about jail, from undercover inmates
How to Get Strong Chest in Hindi With Exercises in Hindi