Diefenbachia care at home
Dieffenbachia is an ornamental plant, which thanks to its beautiful large leaves has found application in interior design. If you decide to bring home this evergreen tropical shrub, carefully study the material that you learn how to care for diffenbachia at home.
Diffenbachia has a flaw. The milky sap is poisonous and can cause blindness, swelling of the larynx or tongue in a person. As for children and pets, the plant causes them significant harm. Therefore, it is recommended to observe safety measures.
Secrets of care
- Lighting. Dieffenbachia likes light, but the direct rays of the sun are detrimental to leaf blades. Make sure the light is diffused. I recommend keeping it on the east or west window. Northern windows are not suitable, as the leaves decrease and become less bright.
- Watering. In nature, dieffenbachia grows in tropical forests and does not tolerate dry air and soil.Water regularly (1 time in three days), using rainwater, melted water or settled water. Spray the flower and wipe the leaves with a wet rag.
- Additional fertilizing. The plant grows quickly. It needs nutrients. Feed from spring to autumn three or four times a month using complex fertilizers of organic or mineral character.
- Transfer. To transplant I advise in the big pot in the spring, time in three years. At the bottom of the pot make a drainage layer of pebbles or expanded clay, then pour the soil. Diffenbachia remove from the old pot, examine the root system, cut rotten or damaged roots, cut the sections with charcoal and place in a new pot.
At first glance, it will seem that taking care of dieffenbachia at home is not difficult. It's true, but remember that the juice is poisonous. Contact with him as carefully as possible. With experience, care will become simpler and labor costs will pay off with the unsurpassed beauty of the flower.
In nature, dieffenbachia grows in the tropics of the South America and has about thirty species. Considering all types in one material is problematic, so I will introduce you to common ones.
In evergreen and perennial shrubs straight, strong trunk green.Attached to it are wide leaves of unusual color. These are yellow spots, stripes and specks.
Due to its symmetrical shape and unusual leaf coloring, dieffenbachia is popular. It is endowed with the nature of a unique decorative. It is not surprising that the plant is used by housewives to decorate the interior of the house.
5 popular types of dieffenbachia:
- Lovely. He feels great in heated premises and easily makes a shadow. The length of the massive green leaves reaches half a meter, and white stripes run along the veins. For many years, used for decorating office and residential premises.
- Leopold.It has a small size. The height of the stem does not exceed 5 centimeters, and the diameter is within two. Pale green scapes, covered with lilac spots, shorter than dark green leaves. The florets are gathered in the inflorescences and are wrapped in a white sheet-blanket. The species is considered the most decorative and is easily grown in apartment conditions.
- Camilla. It is considered the favorite flower growers. The height of a tree plant with large light green leaves reaches two meters. The disadvantage is that the lower part is bare with time.At home, Camilla blooms rarely.
- Spray. An unpretentious, low-growing plant 70 cm high, which has light green leaves with a white vein. The appearance resembles externally the diffenbachia of Leopold.
- . An evergreen plant from the South American tropics. There are fifty varieties of the presented variety.
If horticulture is your hobby, and there is still no diffenbachia in your home garden, get it and start growing it. I can say with confidence that in the near future it will become a highlight of the flower collection.
Reproduction of the diffenbachia
In this part of the article, we consider the propagation of dieffenbachia. With this information, you can easily increase the number of plants in the green area. This will help decorate the room and save money, because you do not have to buy young individuals. In total, there are three ways to multiply diffenbachia. The procedure is practically the same as the reproduction of the croton.
Method one - apical
- Cut the top of the flower with three leaves and place it in the water to take root. Put the container with the handle in a plastic bag and periodically spray the leaves.
- As soon as the length of the young roots reaches five centimeters, open the bag, and later remove it completely. It remains to land the dieffenbachia in a suitable pot.
The second way - by dividing the trunk
- On the dieffenbachia stalk, make an incision and remove a fragment of the bark one and a half centimeters long at a distance of fifteen centimeters from the bottom leaf. Sprinkle the growth wound with a growth stimulator and wrap a moistened piece of sphagnum moss. Wrap everything in film and tie.
- After the emergence of large roots that can provide leaves with moisture, cut off the top of the crown and sprinkle the cut with charcoal. Then remove the film, and transplant the top with the roots into the potty.
Method three - grafting
- Cut the stalk of an old plant into fragments about five centimeters long and place it in water. After two decades, the cuttings will take root, after they land in the ground.
- For rooting, keep cuttings in a warm place, providing protection from the direct rays of the sun. After the appearance of growth buds and young leaves, put dieffenbachia on the window sill.
Spray dieffenbachia propagated by cuttings.To do this, put in a pot one piece. If the plant has grown, the bush is carefully divided into parts, trying not to harm the root system. After the resulting fragments are seated in pots to take root.
The final part of the material is devoted to the problems and diseases that you encounter when growing dieffenbachia.
The flower fades and sheds leaves
Most often, the inconvenience is caused by fungal diseases arising from the high humidity in the room. In this case, the flower fades and sheds the leaves, and the top layer of soil in the pot does not dry out. For treatment, remove dieffenbachia from the ground, inspect the root system, remove the rotten roots, and treat the wound with activated charcoal or cinnamon. After planting plant in fresh ground, poured a light solution of potassium permanganate.
The stem becomes soft and turns pale
If the stem turns pale and the base is soft, it is caused by low temperature. Cut and treat the damaged area with charcoal, and transplant the plant into a pot with new soil. If the entire stalk is affected, root the top and discard the rest.
Young leaves are showered
There are cases when a flower sheds young leaves. Drafts together with dry or cold air lead to such consequences. If the leaves turn yellow or fold, the diffenbachia lacks heat, and when brown or brown spots appear, this is a sign of a lack of moisture.
Is it possible to keep dieffenbachia at home?
This beautiful flower can be useful. It contains phytoncides that improve the composition of air and kill harmful microorganisms that it contains. Another dieffenbachia absorbs toxins. Not surprisingly, it is recommended to grow it in production, accompanied by the release of toxic substances.
Dieffenbachia moistens the air, which helps reduce the amount of dust in the room, it has a beneficial effect on the work of the heart and the cardiovascular system.
Contrary to the listed beneficial properties of the plant can harm the human body. Leaves produce poisonous juice, getting on the mucous membrane of the eyes or the skin causes swelling or irritation. The substance in the flower causes dumbness, swelling of the tongue or blindness. But if you treat it with care and act with caution,nothing bad will happen. Therefore, in the arsenal of any grower must be gloves.
It is also dangerous for dogs with cats. An animal that has bitten a leaf will lose the ability to breathe due to laryngeal edema. But do not underestimate pets. They are smart and bypass the plant, which is a threat to them.
Summing up, I note that many underestimate the benefits of Dieffenbachia, and the harm is slightly exaggerated. I hope, thanks to this tool, you will grow a wonderful and beautiful exotic, which will decorate the room and will please with an excellent view.
How to properly care for dyed hair
Available jewelry that looks expensive
Test: What type of memory do you have best?
Hand Health & Beauty
What gifts to give for 30 years
How to buy an apartment for a young family mortgage